My youngest child is four years old today. Am I old enough for my youngest child to be four years old? I swear, sometimes it feels like I'm playing house and now here I am. No more babies. No more toddlers. No cribs. No diapers. For the last four years I've waited to be done with babyhood and I'm surprisingly sad to be here.
Alex's fourth birthday will always be remembered as The Birthday He Was Sick. He's got a high fever and a rash all over his body. We're still not 100% sure what it is. I thought it might be chicken pox yesterday and was all set to have a party, but they never crusted over. So close.
Things I will always remember about February 11, 2003?
- My very short labour starting at 5pm and ending just after 9:20pm. Only 45 minutes of that was really hard.
- After the midwives left, everyone went to bed and I sat in the dark shocked. I had a baby, everyone left and I was sitting in the dark with someone who was just inside me just hours before. Surreal can't even go there.
- That he was massive. 9lb 13oz and ten days early (I was due February 21) and just under 24" long.
- Three days later I forgot it was Valentine's Day. John walked in the door with potted mums and a card and I cried. I was surprised and touched.
- Hamburger soup. A friend had made it for us and it was the first meal I ate after he was born.
- The penis. The first diaper change consisted of him peeing in his eye, on my clothes and on the couch. I cried (I did a lot of that in the first few days) and considered myself as a Mom-to-a-Boy failure.
Such good times. Mostly.
Okay, maybe I'm not as sad as I thought I was. My youngest is four! Woohoo!